Coach Matt Kerwick and the Jacksonville University are building a new Men’s Lacrosse Program.
They (with eLacrosse?) created a recruiting video. This is a great idea to include in the recruiting process.
Without knowing the NCAA recruiting rules, here are a few comments….
- The video emphasizes attending a warm weather school near the beach. That’s important but not the end-all of attending the school. There’s too much focus on it in the video.
- The big-time schedule should have been more emphasized and Coach Kerwick should have mentioned “… playing the likes of UNC, Duke, and Hofstra…”. (The schedule on the screen was helpful.)
- Since it is a new program, is there is a better opportunity for playing time as a freshman?
- Since it is a new program, are there more openings for quality players? We may be able to have you and a high school teammate both join the program. (?) (If they are both quality players.)
- There needs to be emphasis on your goal of recruiting good players with strong character. They will be playing top lacrosse and facing many challenges of developing a new program. When they come to JU they will be creating a legacy. They won’t be just a good lacrosse player “passing through” a program.
- Let some of the current JU players speak. Endorsements and opinions of players matter.
- Please remember — these are 18-year-old boys who are being recruited. It wouldn’t hurt to subtly show some good-looking girls as “ball girls”.
Click to see JU recruiting video